Hitchhiker




I’m on the side of the road again thumbing down some sort of crazy train.

Humming songs on better days where men and women knew their ways.

Tramps stampeding down the roadside,

Flashing breasts and caressing thighs,

Not the life I’d choose to reside.

Playing word games with my tongue,

Whispering songs that dead men once sung.

Daggers flying across the night sky and I scream out loud “All star-crossed lovers die!”

The moon drifts me into a slow slumber,

I’m sleeping on the road again.

The night breeze creeps under my blanket giving me goose bumps I’ll always remember.

Highway hits daytime and I’m repeating my thumbing motion.

Showing my leg for a little devotion,

A trucker pulls over and catches my drift

And we drive, drive, drive down by the ocean side.

I hear the haunting of your voice but sincerely push it away.

The endeavor of your love was useless

And all you did was refuse it.

Staring off into the distance outside my window

I retain the beautiful view of a sunset for an hour or two,

And remember what it was like to breath and recall my days of life with thieves.

Down into marshes I track my mudded feet,

The raindrops wash away my melancholy and remind me of better days in the sun’s rays.

With moisten lips I whistle dreary songs of lost dogs finally found.

My backpack slips away in the night and I awake dry to the murderous heat of the sun’s lies.

My dry skin makes me itch for water—a shower that can wash away my bloody adventure.

My coarse vocal chords make me whisper that you’d leave my mind.

I rough and tumble with myself across the desert ground

Asking for a bit of silence in this moment of peace

And I remember: time is of the essence, I shouldn’t fight myself.

I shouldn’t fight the things that made me happy but what I should do is keep on my way.

Thumbing down trucks along the highway,

I show a bit of skin hoping they might stay.

Hookers beat the meat of old men who pay them cheap wages and push them away.

I stop off in a diner and grab a bite to eat.

I have cold ice cream that brings back the goose bumps and sends me on a mental drift.

I am seated at the counter on a swivel chair with hopes and dreams that might get me out of here.

And then the door swings open and I hear birds sing.

I listen without looking to the heavy footprints that they bring in.

He sits down next to me with his dirty feet and asks the waiter for “something sweet.”

With golden hair and suntanned skin his body emanates a forgotten heat from within me.

I play with my leftovers just a little bit

Ask for more whipped cream just so I can sit a little longer.

He eventually gazes at me with his deep blue eyes and his frown rises into an open smile.

I send it back and make a mental note that “I’ve found the love of my life.”

“Hey pretty.” He says as he takes my hand in his, “don’t you want to take a ride with me?”

And then he disappears,

I wake up in the middle of a rundown courtyard with ghosts haunting stone benches.

I follow a glowing path until I reach my long lost home.

Cobwebs have become over grown and dust overcomes the corridors.

I wipe clean an old coffee cup and make myself a cup of tea.

After it brews and warms up my insides I take a seat at my window and stare away so peacefully.

I needed a break.

I’m sorry you’re going away but I won’t let myself be haunted.

I open the window and watch the pigeons fly away,

I reach for my chipped cell phone and delete all my old numbers.

Back to the start again, that’s the way it’s always been.


Goodbye, goodbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram